At the heart of Italian coffee culture lies a multitude of recipes, depending on the region or even the season: caffè shakerato is one of them, not necessarily the most well-known, but as simple as it is delicious. If you’re looking for a drink to face the hot summer days, it could become your new obsession.
Coffee is deeply ingrained in the daily life of Italians and it is customary almost every day of the year, even when temperatures rise in summer. While espresso and cappuccino are the undisputed stars of Italian caffetteria, the less known, caffè shakerato, was created to satisfy customers seeking a refreshing alternative during the summer months.
The recipe for caffè shakerato is simple yet ingenious. You will need a double espresso, some ice cubes, and a shaker. This unusual method of preparing coffee is actually a clever way to achieve a creamy and frothy texture. Here’s how to prepare it.
- One double espresso
- A handful of ice cubes
- 1 teaspoon of sugar or liquid sugar syrup (optional)
- Optional: a few drops of vanilla, almond, lavender syrup…
- 1) Prepare your double espresso (we like to prepare it with our Oro 80/20 blend, perfectly balanced for this drink).
- 2) While the espresso is still hot, add a teaspoon of sugar and/or your flavored syrup. Stir well to allow the sugar to dissolve in the hot espresso.
- 3) Let the sweetened espresso cool down slightly for a few minutes.
- 4) Pour it into a shaker with ice cubes.
- 5) Close the shaker tightly and shake vigorously for 10 to 15 seconds. (This step is crucial to obtain a frothy texture).
- 6) Pour the mixture into a stemmed glass, like a “flute” or “martini cup,” and savor this delicious iced beverage.
Caffè shakerato offers flexibility in its customization and by adding flavored syrups, you can transform your drink and experiment, in order to find your favorite recipe!
One of the advantages of drinking a cold espresso, as in the case of caffè shakerato, is that the chilled or iced versions allow you to discover a wide range of flavors. While hot espressos are appreciated for their intensity and body, the immediate cooling of this coffee helps preserve delicate aromas that may be less perceptible in a hot beverage, reduced by the heat. This means that every note of coffee is preserved and elevated in this cold drink. By opting for a cold espresso like caffè shakerato, you’ll discover a completely different aspect of Italian coffee, where freshness reveals its most subtle aromas.
Today, as caffè shakerato makes a comeback, it truly deserves to be rediscovered as an icon of Italian coffee culture. Whether you’re an experienced coffee enthusiast or a novice, this drink offers a unique tasting experience that will delight you in summer and throughout the year. So why not brighten up your summer days with a touch of freshness? Caffè shakerato brings a new dimension to espresso, offering a unique and unforgettable coffee experience. Let’s celebrate together this symbol of Italian passion for coffee!